Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Amore Tomato Paste



I grew up with Contadina tomato paste in those little 6-oz cans. When recipes called for a tablespoon of paste, I was distraught -- what to do with the rest of the can? If I chose to execute that recipe, which was rare, I always transferred the extra into a separate container to find it moldy much, much later. Then I learned that you could buy the stuff in a tube, which is supposed to be superior to that canned-stuff.

If you want to know, here's the nutrition facts.


What really matters though is that it's a metal tube of double-concentrate paste. You will have to spin the cap off the tube, invert the cap and puncture the thin metal originally designed toward keeping the paste at it's freshest. Squirt out your tablespoon and screw the cap back on the tube. Stow it in your fridge.


Amore Tomato Paste available in your ethnic or Italian aisle of your Ralph's for $3.49/4.5 oz tube, about $0.78/oz. Each of the nine tablespoons cost $0.39.

A quick comparison:
The last time I bought Contadina tomato paste in 6-oz cans was when I bought them from Costco. Apparently in August of '09 at $5.07 for twelve 6-oz cans. That's $0.07/oz. Considering that I'm still working on those cans, it might be worth the cost to save pantry space.


0 comments: