Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Frog Legs



I picked up this package of frog legs many moons ago. And because I didn't find a recipe I really thought would wow me, I put them in the freezer and forgot about them completely. The new directive to myself, to rotate frozen items, caused me to remove the legs from my freezer to thaw in the refrigerator a couple days.


I was shocked to see how old these "flog" legs were. Flipping through my grocery lists, I see I bought them at the end of November last year. Anyone know how long the frog legs stay good when frozen? I certainly do not.


After removing the plastic wrap and the container lid, I was surprised to see that the leg pairs were individually bagged.


I rinsed them and put them on paper towel to drain. They were quite white meat-ish in appearance and fortunately, I didn't see signs of freezer burn.


Hopefully, the legs are still good. Only one way to find out. The Cook is goin' guinea pig.

Frog legs available at your local Korean market, such as HMart, for $4.99/lb.

If you're interested, here's a couple of excerpts from Larousse Gastronomique. But first, "frog" in French is "grenouille." Just an FYI.
Certain species are edible, but only the leg meat. Frogs' legs were regarded as a tasty dish in the Middle Ages, particularly during Lent.
The delicate flavour of the meat is enhanced by seasoning, and frogs' legs are often prepared with herbs, garlic, and chopped parsley. They are also made into blanquettes, soups, omelettes, and mousselines and can be found fried or sauteed.

Well, la dee da. I found my recipe.


0 comments: