Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Creole Seasoning Blend



Rather than buy a Creole blend, I made one from a recipe on All Recipes. Why not, I have all of the stuff.

Creole Seasoning Blend
from AllRecipes
click to print

2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
5 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp salt

In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt. Store in an airtight container.

Clockwise starting at 12: onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper; under the salt at the center is the paprika.

It makes quite a lot as written: nearly 1.25 cups. Looking back on it, as it's just ratios, I should've cut the recipe down to a third simply by using teaspoons instead of tablespoons.  If you use teaspoons, plan to get just shy of 3/8 cups of seasoning. Actually, as it is just a ratio thing, you could simply use your smallest measuring spoon, usually a 1/4 tsp, and go from there. If you do that, you'll get 1/8 cup, which is just 2 tablespoons. Do it based on the quantity you need.

Now I see that I could've just used a 1/2 teaspoon to yield exactly the 4 tbsp of Creole seasoning I needed. If only I'd taken the time to think this through before execution. If you do it as needed, you could tweak it for the next go-round. I'm kicking myself.

I'd offer pricing, but is going to take more energy and time than what I'm willing to invest. In a nutshell, if you have the stuff, just mix it together. If you don't you might want to get a container of the stuff at the store. I think Emeril makes one.


0 comments: