Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beef Marrow Bones



Plans to make beef stock at home calls for bones, marrow bones. Fortunately, I'd seen them before and found 'em right there in the "weird" section of the beef portion of the meat case in my American grocery.

I was sort of surprised that frozen-thawed beef marrow bones are $1.99 a pound. They are bones.


Peeling back the plastic, I caught my first true eyeful of the bones. There is actually some meat on them.


And it wasn't just that one that had meat on it, most of them do. Not much, but they do have some flesh.


Looking down at the bones situated end-on, I see what apparently is beef bone marrow.


This isn't quite causing my mouth to salivate or my stomach to growl. Especially that one there at the 3:00 spot -- that looks like fat to me.

From the Larousse Gastronomique, bone marrow:
A soft fatty substance in the cavities of long bones. In cooking, beef marrow is usually used. Slices of gently poached beef marrow are served with grilled (broiled) or roast beef. Marrow is also used as a filling for artichoke hearts, cardoons, omelettes, bouchees, and croutes and it may be included in salpicons, garnishes, and soups. It is often used to prepare sauces for grilled meat or fish. A marrow bone is always included in a stockpot and often cooked with boiled rolled beef; the bone is then served with the meat and the marrow may be extracted with a teaspoon. Bone marrow may also be bought in jelly form.
Believe it, there are even recipes included: bone-marrow canapes, bone-marrow sauce, and grilled (broiled) red mullet with bone-marrow sauce. Who knew?!

Beef marrow bones, available at Stater Bros. for $1.99/lb in packages about 3-4 lbs each.


0 comments: