Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

American Fries with Onions



So I was getting hungry and tried to figure out what to eat. Likely-stale Honey-Nut Cheerios with some more-than-likely spoiled milk? Nah. The bread is old, been around since before Rodney went to MI. Chicken with Black Beans and Rice? For breakfast? NO.

Navigating in the fridge, what did I see? A foil-wrapped baked potato, glory be! It was left from when I prepared the second of two rib eye's Monday night. I removed the potato from foil, peeled it and sliced it as thin as I could with a paring knife.

Then I melted some butter, about 2 tbsp, in my largest cast iron skillet, which is only about 10" across the top. Once the butter was melted, I shoved the potato slices into the buttered skillet.


The skillet was shaken to evenly distribute the potato slices. Once distributed, some diced onion, salt and pepper was dispensed over the potato slices.


After a few minutes, the potatoes were flipped, to yield only a couple nicely browned slices. About every 5 minutes, the potatoes were flipped until the majority of slices were nicely browned and just crisp, yet tender.


I slid the crisp-tender potatoes onto a plate, sidled some scrambled eggs next to them and sprinkled those eggs with Mexican-Blend cheddar. Then came a nice squirt of high-fructose corn syrup ketchup* in which to dip the fries.


*Of all the foods containing high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), it is ketchup I love the best and will miss the most.

The American Fries were fantastically delicious. I should bake extra potatoes regularly just to have American Fries more frequently. I do need to work out the onion:potato ratio -- the onions could've had a little more presence. Otherwise, they were perfect.

Cost: For the potato, um, $0.20?


0 comments: