Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Pan-Seared Rib Eye, Take 2


When I was at the store doing my shopping, I purchased two steaks. Originally, I was going to get one, but priced $7 off normal price per pound, I couldn't help but get two.

This is the first one, the small one, weighing in at 1.28 pounds. Last time I cooked a rib eye, it was a skinny one with less than half the weight. Tonight's steak is a thick one, thus I'm going to utilize the entire Alton Brown steak prep, oven and all.

The steak was removed from packaging, slapped onto a plate and generously salted and peppered.


Then it was oiled with some canola, just enough to give it a nice shine on both sides as well as the edges.


Meanwhile, my biggest cast iron skillet was becoming blazing hot in a 500°F oven. Once the steak was ready for heat, the cast iron was placed over a medium flame.


Steak, meet skillet. You should hear the sizzle.

After 30 seconds, the steak was flipped.

I see that 30 seconds isn't really enough -- next time, a minute for sure.

Before going into the oven 30 seconds later, the steak was flipped again. And then it was baked for 5 minutes.


Five minutes later, the steak was flipped and returned to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.


Now on a plate, this steak was ready to rest under a foil tent for 10-15 minutes before I worked on devouring it with a side of steamed broccoli.



Hello, this was a slice of heaven! Certainly 1.28 lbs was way too much for me to consume and there was a pretty good bit of beef leftover. It will go very well on salad. Next time, I'll remember to increase the searing time from 30 seconds to a full minutes.

Cost:

  • bone-in rib eye steak: $4.47

I'd say that I ate about half of the meat, making it about $2/serving. After all, there was a bone in there. And I know, I know, the recommended serving side of flesh is 4 oz.  Yada, yada.  I was craving some iron and I got it.

The remaining half is on a plate, chilling in the fridge.


0 comments: