Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Baked Oatmeal, Take 2



I liked the Baked Oatmeal the first time, but after a few servings of it thought it was too sweet. I had added dates which are like brown sticky wads of sugar so I'm sure that's why Melissa likes the oatmeal so much and I was like, "this is too much like candy".

This time, I figured I'd keep everything the same with the following exceptions: cut the total sugar by 2 tablespoons (I know, so drastic, right?) and include 2 diced apples. I'll get fruit with the fibrous oats and it'll have some naturally sweetener but not a crazy lot.

Baked Oatmeal, Take 2
adapted from Baked Oatmeal
click to print

2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c Coach's Oats
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c sliced almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 c whole milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 apples, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Place the 2 tablespoons butter in an 8x8" baking dish and melt the butter in the oven while it preheats, pulling the dish out after about 5 minutes. Tilt the dish and let the butter coat it about evenly.

This is actually more like 3, maybe 4, tablespoons.

Meanwhile, combine the oats, sugars, almonds, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.

I nearly forgot the nutmeg!

Whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.

If you didn't beat the eggs before adding the milk, you'll chase them around before they finally break up. Afraid I'd wind up with chunks of scrambled egg in my oatmeal, I whisked like a crazy fool until the solution was homogeneous.

Add the egg mixture and the apples to the oats and combine until moistened throughout.


Transfer to the dish with the melted butter.


Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.


Cut and shovel into bowls; splash with half-and-half if you have it.



Oh yeah, this is definitely more my speed. Much less sugared sweet, the apples lend moisture and sweetness by virtue which is exactly what I'd been hoping for. Considering that, I'll cut down on each of the added sugars by another tablespoon next time. The apples, roughly diced, as well as the two types of oats offered a variety of textures: crunchy, tender, saucy. The apple skins, I could've done without. Otherwise, just fantastic.

Cost:
  • butter: $0.14
  • old-fashioned rolled oats: $0.60
  • Coach's Oats: $0.18
  • sugar: $0.08
  • brown sugar: $0.09
  • sliced almonds: $1, SWAG
  • eggs: $0.62
  • milk: $0.35
  • maple syrup: $0.50
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • apples: $1.36
Total: $5 or about $0.83 for each of six generous servings.