Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nested Mixing Bowls

I heard this big bang last night while in bed. It definitely came from the kitchen and assumed that since I didn't smell smoke, everything was fine.

And then I found this.


Shit fuck damn, that bowl that shattered? The size I use most often.


In case you're wondering, I bought this set of about 10 or 11 bowls (not all of them shown) for about $30 at Macy's about 5 or 6 years ago. Looking online it doesn't look like they carry them anymore but Williams Sonoma has a very similar, if not exact, set. Macy's does have these Pyrex bowls though, which would make it a hard decision for me to make.

In case you're shopping, I will tell you that my nesting bowls have been absolutely fabulous and I adore them. They are excellent as prep bowls, mixing bowls, serving bowls, salad bowls, ice baths, cereal bowls, pasta bowls, as the tops of homemade double-boilers for melting chocolate, and a bunch of other things I'm probably forgetting. Really though, if you're strictly looking for mixing bowls to use as mixing bowls (for cake, bread etc.) a set of three, small, medium and large, would be perfectly adequate.

The Pyrex bowls, four in the set - exceeding the number I'd call a minimum, are varied in size and have lids. They're probably thicker than the nesting bowls plus Pyrex can be used in the oven, fridge, freezer, or microwave. The downside about the Pyrex set though is that if you did buy them to use as mixing bowls, you might find that they are too busy holding stuff for you in the fridge/freezer and you still need a mixing bowl. I know that's what would happen to me if the 3-piece Pyrex mixing bowl set that Rodney had scored for me somewhere came with lids.

0 comments: