Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Roast Pesto Chicken Sandwich



This is the sandwich I envisioned for my leftover roast chicken.

I carved a breast from the cold bird and sliced it crosswise, leaving the garlicky pesto in place.


A halved telera roll was only slightly broiled. And then I realized I wanted my chicken warmed. Most of the breast slices were placed on the open roll and broiled a few minutes, just enough to warm the chicken.


Slices of pepperjack cheese were placed on the chicken slices and melted in the broiler for about 30 seconds.


Meanwhile I diced a sun-dried tomato and stirred it into some mayonnaise, maybe a couple teaspoons.


The sun-dried tomato mayo was smeared over the cheese on one half of the roll.


And then some greens, spinach and arugula, were piled on the mayo before the halves were paired.



Fantastic! I am so glad I tried this. The sun-dried tomatoes and pesto were excellent flavors and the sweetness went well with the bitterness of the greens. The cheese and mayo made the sandwich just gooey enough without being soggy. Gently warming the chicken worked well and the slices remained juicy. I just wish I had some bacon! This is slightly reminiscent of this other chicken sandwich.

................................................................................................................................................................
062313
Since the remaining telera rolls went moldy on me, I bought a boule and fried some bacon to make this sandwich.


It's perfect.

0 comments: