Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats



After having gone through a bunch of Coach's Oats and then a couple of baked oatmeals, I thought I'd try some steel cut oats.


I missed the simplicity of regular oatmeal but didn't like having to go to Costco to get my Coach's.


There's a lot of info about how steel cut oats just have a way better texture than rolled oats. And since I did like the Coach's Oats, I figured I would adore the steel cut.


Before switching to Coach's, I was hesitant about steel cut because of the longer prep time. Then I went the other way and spent a bunch of time baking oatmeal.


For these Red Mill oats, I put the 1 cup of oats, 1/4 tsp salt, and 3 cups of water in the saucepan per the directions on the package, brought it up to a simmer, killed the heat, covered the pan and went to work.


I stirred it up and it looks a little creamy, a little grainy. I portioned the cooked oats into four bowls and put them in the fridge.


A minute or so in the microwave, stir in some dried cranberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and I learned that yes, it's true. Steel cut oats are the best. You can't beat the texture, and doing it this way eliminates the hassle and time of standing over the stove stirring.


Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats available in the breakfast cereal aisle at Ralph's for $2.99 a 1.5-lb bag. That makes each of 15 servings about $0.20.

0 comments: