Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Safeway Corn Bread



Safeway Corn Bread
adapted from the package
click to print


1 c corn meal
1 c flour
4 tbsp baking powder
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/4 melted butter

Sift flour with sugar, baking powder and salt.

I opted to just stir it all together with a fork.

Stir in corn meal.


Oh man, I forgot the sugar in the earlier step. I'll get that in now.


Beat eggs slightly, add milk and melted butter.

To minimize the number of bowls I'd have to wash, I melted the butter in a bowl, then stirred in milk, and then added to eggs before beating them into the milky butter.

Combine with dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.


Pour into buttered 9x9x2-inch pan.

The directions didn't say to spread the batter out but I did anyway.

Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes.



That seemed like a LOT of baking powder but for whatever reason it didn't become more cakey than I remember the Albers recipe being. Is that because of the additional egg? Does a single egg counter the effect of so much more baking powder? It must!

No matter the science behind what and how this shit happens, this recipe is a good one. The bread is slightly cakey, not excessively crumbly or sweet. I like this one. And I found it on the back of a bag. Is it perfect? It does use butter instead of oil, but you tell me.

Cost:
  • corn meal: $0.26
  • flour: $0.08
  • sugar: $0.24
  • eggs: $0.33
  • milk: $0.49
  • butter: $0.20
Total: $1.60 or about $0.13 for each of twelve little servings.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

If you look at the picture of the recipe, it actually calls for 4 tsp of baking powder, not 4 tbsp!

The Cook said...

Lmao! You're right - and now I wonder what quantity I actually used. I might have to do a do-over to confirm... Thanks for pointing that out!!!