Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Sprouts Bulk Steel-Cut Oats


The bowls are for the next three mornings; the measuring cup is for breakfast today.

I bought some steel-cut oats from the bulk section at Sprouts. Since there isn't a bag with directions, I snapped a pic of the directions on the bulk container with my crappy phone.


Bring four cups of water to a boil; add 1 cup of steel-cut oats.


And then I deviated, following the process I used for Bob's Steel-Cut Oats.

Allow the mixture to come back to a simmer, remove from heat and cover.


If you feel like it, stir the thickened mixture before you go to bed.


In the morning, or about 10 hours later, stir again.


Distribute serving portions of oats across four bowls/containers.


Add toppings; store in the refrigerator. Reheat each serving in the microwave 1-2 minutes.


While steel-cut oats reign supreme in the oat world, I will say there is a difference between brands. The Sprouts oats are cut into smaller pieces than the Bob's Red Mill oats. Even though more water is called for with the Sprout's oats, the Bob's oats came out with a texture I preferred: the oat chunks were chunkier but overall there was greater creaminess.

Cost:
I paid $1.47 for $2.99 lbs of oats, and with 1356.741g/lb, and 176 g/cup, and 1/4 cup per serving, that makes each serving about $0.05. Feel free to check my math, do some stoichiometricalish math.

0 comments: