Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chicken Spoonbread



Part of the reason why I opted to do the Honey-Roasted Chicken was because of the recipes which use the leftovers; this is one of them. I'll be honest, you won't find the other one on this blog ever because I can't imagine eating a pancake made out of dressing. I just can't.

Chicken Spoonbread
adapted from Cooking Club, Oct/Nov 2010
click to print

1 c milk
1 3/4 c Cornbread-Sausage Dressing
8 oz. (1 1/2 c) shredded Honey-Roasted Chicken
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Bring milk to a simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat.

This took about 3 minutes.

Stir in dressing and cook 2 minutes or until thick.


Remove from heat; stir in chicken, cheddar cheese, and 2 eggs.


Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish; top with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Call me hideous, but I used the same dish the chicken was originally stored in to bake the spoonbread. It was already greasy, so hey, optimize!

Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until browned.

Waiting for browning, I settled for hotness at 26 minutes. I was hungry!


Certainly not the most beautiful dish nor the most marvelous thing I've ever eaten, I do appreciate it for what it is. I mean, wth, leftover stuffing and chicken are combined to make a new dish! Including meat, my brain calculates this to be a main course. I had a quarter of the spoonbread with some yams and green beans; yes, I was satisfied.

Cost:
  • milk: $0.24
  • Cornbread-Sausage Dressing: $1.24
  • Honey-Roasted Chicken: $3.05
  • shredded cheddar cheese: $2.49
  • eggs: $0.65
Total: $7.67 or about $1.92 for each of four giant servings or $0.96 for each of eight small servings.

0 comments: