Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chocolate Chip-Sweet Potato Loaf



Here's the dessert recipe of the week. But is it dessert? Or is it a bread? Or is it a side? WTF? It has piles of sugar like dessert. But so do some breads, but it's shaped like a bread. It doesn't have meat but it does have sweet potatoes in it! It's a little confusing. But yeah, it was classified as a bread by the magazine so I'll roll with that. I'm certain dessert would be an equal classification.

Chocolate Chip-Sweet Potato Loaf
from Cooking Club, Fall 2013
click to print

1 16-oz sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 c sugar
6 tbsp canola oil
2 eggs
2 tsp grated orange peel
1/3 c orange juice
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped pecans

Glaze
1 to 1 1/4 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tsp mini chocolate chips

Place sweet potato on microwave-safe plate. Microwave, covered, on high 8-10 minutes or until tender.


Using fork or potato masher, mash sweet potato until smooth (or puree in food processor). Reserve 1 cup; save any remaining sweet potato for another use.


Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F for a metal pan or 325°F for a glass dish.

Spray 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; line bottom with parchment paper. Spray paper; dust with flour, tapping out excess.

There was way more flour left stuck to the parchment than I'd normally leave on it but I was afraid to bang on it too hard and have the parchment fall out. That's only a concern since I do my pan banging over the sink which may or may not have piles of crap in it.

Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and baking powder in medium bowl.


Beat sugar and oil in large bowl at medium-low speed 30 seconds or until blended.


Add eggs one at a time, beating until blended.


Beat in orange peel and orange juice.


Beat in sweet potato.


At low speed, beat in flour mixture.


Stir in chocolate chips and pecans; pour into pan.


Bake 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when gently touched and skewer inserted in center comes out clean.

The loaf was baked 60 minutes, checked, and baked another few minutes.

Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; turn top-side up. Cool completely.


Meanwhile, whisk 1 cup powdered sugar with orange juice in small bowl, adding additional powdered sugar to desired glaze consistency.

I used 1 cup of powdered sugar.

Drizzle over bread; sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Let stand until set.

Oof! I didn't realize until after I started drizzling that the glaze was thick. I like very fine drizzles, not huge wide ones. If they're going to be huge wide ones I may as well spread it with a spatula. Considering that, I realized I'd only make it look worse since it was starting to set up almost immediately.


Yup, it's a bread/dessert! It's good! You could have it for breakfast, dessert, a sweet snack. While I'm not one who gets all worried over weight/size and calories/number of zits on my face, I don't believe this is a side dish just because potatoes are included.

I used mini-chips throughout; my rationale was that if I was going to buy a bag of them for a couple teaspoons to sprinkle on top I may as well use them throughout. I think that was wise. The chocolate tid-bits were nicely dispersed throughout. Next time I'll use chopped chocolate of a better quality if I can't find better quality mini-chips. I'm not into sugar chips disguised as chocolate chips.

Now, what to do with the extra yam mash?

Cost:
  • sweet potato: $1.07
  • all-purpose flour: $0.12
  • sugar: $0.32
  • canola oil: $0.64
  • eggs: $0.65
  • orange: $0.68
  • mini chocolate chips: $0.53
  • powdered sugar: $0.27
Total: $4.28 or about $0.27 for each of 16 thin slices.

1 comments:

Friday Reads said...

Lovely blog you haave here