Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lemon Shrimp with Fresh Mint and Peas



Normally I'd pass this recipe over, thinking peas and mint with shrimp equals gross. But determined to step out of my norm, I went ahead and tried it. The results turned out to be quite pleasing!

Lemon Shrimp with Fresh Mint and Peas
from Cooking Club of America
click to print

2 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 c sliced green onions
8 oz. shelled, deveined uncooked medium shrimp (31 to 35 count)
1 c frozen baby peas, thawed
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.


Add green onion; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.


Add shrimp and peas; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.


Stir in all remaining ingredients.



Honestly, I'm shocked that I like it as much as I do. The dish just screams spring, with the flavors of fresh lemon and mint. And done in mere minutes! Seriously! I'm ashamed to admit this one would've been bypassed in a second if I hadn't limited myself to making something, anything, from this magazine edition. This made just the perfect lunch.

Not including mise, this took seven minutes to make! You can't beat that!

Cost:
  • olive oil: $0.40
  • green onions: $0.25
  • uncooked shrimp (31 to 35 count): $2.50
  • frozen baby peas: $0.75
  • fresh mint: $1.29
  • lemon: $0.27
Total: $5.46 or about $2.73 for each of two light servings.


0 comments: