Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Baked Delicata Squash

Baked and buttered delicata squash.

I've never had delicata squash to my recollection. When I saw them sitting there with all the more well-known winter squashes at the grocery store, I had to grab one of these. What I'd do with it, I had no idea. Something glamorous though, for sure.


Ok, so when push came to shove, ended up baking it. First I washed it and halved it.


Then I scooped out the seeds and pulp before placing the halves in an 8x8" baking dish.


Then I stuck the dish in a 400°F oven for about 50-55 minutes until it was fork tender.


When it came time to serve, I tasted a bit of one half and determined that while sweeter than an acorn or spaghetti squash, salt, pepper and most certainly, butter, would do it some service. The squash was OK considering nothing fancy had been done with it. I think it ranks right below a butternut (my favorite), right above a carnival, and way above an acorn.  It was pretty cool that the skin wasn't so hard or bitter that it could be eaten. 


I'll try this again, but I think I'll make it a point to stuff it or something. I see nuts and cheese in the delicata squash future.

Cost:

  • delicata squash: $0.86
Total: Uh, 86 cents or 43 cents a serving.

0 comments: