Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lemon-Orange Orange Roughy



Since I bought some orange roughy on the fly, I scoured some sites to find a good recipe. I came across this one and while I didn't think it would be all that, gave it a try anyway, as it looked better than many others out there.  Simplicity was a big factor in my attempting this recipe.


1 1/2 tsp olive oil
2 (4 oz) fillets orange roughy
1/2 orange, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Arrange fillets in the skillet, and drizzle with orange juice and lemon juice.


Sprinkle with lemon pepper.


Cook for 5 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork, turning once during the last minute if you're paranoid about uneven cooking.



This recipe was so simple and simply superb!  The acidity of the fruits weren't overwhelming and offered subtle hints in flavoring the fish.  As for the fish itself, it is no wonder orange roughy is on the verge of endangerment or extinction -- it's a fantastic, firm white fish. I'm sure it's suitable in many recipes as it is firm and has mild, yet delicious, flavor.  I'll be enjoying whatever remains in the only bag of orange roughy I'll ever purchase. 

Please don't rush out to buy yourself some orange roughy to try this recipe or any other.  Use some tilapia or other eco-friendly and suitable firm white fish.

Cost: a gazillion dollars to naturally replace each fillet.

Lemon-orange orange roughy, baked delicata squash and cheesy-zucchini biscuits were for dinner tonight.


0 comments: