Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bourbon-Glazed Carrots



Since I recently rediscovered the Pioneer Woman and her cooking, I wanted to try another one of her recipes. After all, I beat those Crash Hot Potatoes of hers to death; it was time for something new.  This was based on her Whiskey-Glazed Carrots, but since I only had bourbon, I rolled with it.

Bourbon-Glazed Carrots

2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
1/2 c butter
½ c Jack Daniels Or Other Whiskey
¾ c brown sugar
½ tsp salt
fresh ground pepper, to taste

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over high heat.


Add carrots in two batches., cooking for 60-90 seconds each batch. Remove from skillet.


Pour in whiskey and allow to evaporate 30 seconds.


Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining butter.


When butter melts, sprinkle brown sugar over the top.


Stir together, then add carrots to skillet.


Cover, and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove lid and add salt and pepper. Continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze is thick, about 5 more minutes.



While the flavor of these were great -- the bourbon certainly added some twang, the carrots were overcooked.  Turns out I hadn't sliced my carrots thick enough.  Plus, because I wasn't using cast iron, I let them sit in the skillet hoping they'd brown.  Fat chance of that in a non-stick with butter.  Definitely worth doing again, in cast iron.

Cost:
  • carrots: $1.50
  • everything else, SWAG: $0.50
$2 and it was enough for 3.


0 comments: