Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots



Here's a recipe I've prepared tons of times. I may have mentioned the recipe in passing on this blog, like, "...chicken, glazed carrots...". Or not. The recipe is another one from one of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. Click the link below to go straight to the original recipe.


1 lb peeled baby carrots or medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
Dash salt
Black pepper

In a medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; remove carrots from pan.
 
 

In the same saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until combined.

Add carrots.


Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until glazed. Season to taste with pepper.



I already said I've made this a ton of times, so that means it's good over and over again.

If you plan this right, these can be done in about 15-20 minutes*, which is a big reason why we've had them a ton of times.  Plus it only takes one saucepan, which means the load of dishes isn't out of hand, which is really convenient for us, since it's by hand our dishes are done.

I'm guessing cost is about $1-1.50 depending on how many carrots I make.  While BH&G suggests 4 servings, I get 2.5 people servings.

*While I always try to practice mise en place, in cases of recipes like this, I skip it.  I'll get the water heating to boil while I'm peeling, cutting and quartering the carrots.  By the time I'm ready to get the carrots in the water, the water's ready for some carrots.  As the carrots boil, the sugar, salt and pepper can be readied.


0 comments: