Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Meat Loaf with Bacon in an 8x8


You wouldn't know it just by looking at it, but there are pork surprises in nearly every bite of this meat loaf.

The last time I made meatloaf, I baked it with bacon in the same bowl I mixed it in. It worked out well, yielding one less dish to wash. Rodney did point out that the edges didn't get as crispy as they usually do in the 9x5" glass bread pan I usually use.

This time, I figured I'd include bacon, but would bake the loaf in an 8x8 baking dish, ensuring crispy edges and more evenly dispersed bacon!

Meat Loaf with Bacon in an 8x8

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c milk
2/3 c dry seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/8 tsp black pepper
1.5-2 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c ketchup
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 slices low-sodium bacon

In an 8x8" baking dish, place ground beef; add eggs.


Add milk as well as bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper.

Mix well and pat meat mixture evenly.


Cut slits into meatloaf to accomodate bacon slices. Insert bacon slices, fat side up. Pat beef mixture back down so fat sides of bacon slices are just exposed.


Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 160°F.


Drain off fat.


Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine ketchup, sugar, and mustard. Spread ketchup mixture over meat.


Return loaf to oven for 10 minutes. Let loaf rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.


While this worked out very well, as in one less dish to wash, crispy edges and evenly situated bacon, it was a hassle to mix everything in the 8x8. Part of that was because I didn't follow the original recipe exactly when it came to mixing eggs and milk, then mixing in the dry ingredients, and then mixing in the beef.

Cost: $7, same as before, which makes sense since I followed the same recipe and didn't change anything but the baking dish.

Next time, I'll be sure to follow the mixing part exactly. I don't know that I'll have a separate post for that; how many times can I stand to post the same dang recipe? Not once more, I don't think.

Regardless, I've certainly proven that you don't need a 9x5 to have some yummy meatloaf, with or without bacon.

Oh, you will have to remember which way you inserted the bacon -- parallel or perpendicular to the dish handles.  If you don't pay attention, some folks might miss the pork bandwagon.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never tried this with bacon, sounds good, I do use about 22 Saltine Crackers crumbled up (to 2#-ground chuck), in place of bread crumbs. Cant wait to try it with the bacon ♡