Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich



Because it's hotter than hell here in Southern CA (aka SoCal), I opted for a dinner that would use minimal heat over a very short time, a mahi-mahi sandwich.

And it was spot on, though a little too filling. I couldn't finish the sandwich.

Again, it's hotter than hell here. Who can eat a big meal in these temperatures? (Remember, I post-date my posts -- today is 65F and when I made this mahi-mahi sandwich it was over 100F).

I essentially followed this blackened salmon recipe but used a fillet of mahi-mahi instead of salmon.


Thaw and paper-towel dry a fillet of mahi mahi.


Warm a tbsp of butter in a medium skillet. Meanwhile, dust the mahi mahi with blackening seasoning.


Place mahi mahi fillet seasoned side down in buttered skillet. Dust the exposed side of the mahi mahi with the seasoning. Flip the fish after a couple minutes. If you want browned/grilled bread, butter one side of each of two slices and brown them in a second skillet.


Once the mahi mahi is nearly cooked through, remove it from heat and let it stand on a plate.

Place fresh lettuce and tomato on a slice of bread, topped with mahi mahi and the second slice of bread.



I made my sandwich such that the browned sides of bread faced the mahi mahi to prevent buttery fingers. Dumb. Dumb, dumb. The softened bread became almost sticky, leaving my fingers damp anyhow. Might just as well be butter-flavored fingers.

Cost: a SWAG of $2.


0 comments: