Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes Revisited


While there are many recipes I try and say that I'd make again, most I never visit again. Not because they were bad, but because there are so many recipes in the world to try, a dish has be pretty damn good or at least be memorable enough for me to think, "Hey, I should have that XYZ again." Those Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes with Herbed Tartar Sauce are a perfect example of something deliciously memorable. I'd prepared them for the first time back in April, and I had them for dinner again tonight. Mmm, crab cakes.

Last time I kept the amount of tartar sauce the same and doubled the crab cake part. This time, I kept to the original recipe for the crab cake part and halved the tartar sauce bit, omitting entirely the tarragon, which turned out to be a really dumb move. Click the link above for how I did it last time.

Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes with Not-So Herbed Tartar Sauce

3/8 c mayonnaise, divided
3 1/2 tbsp finely chopped red green bell pepper, divided
6 1/2 tbsp finely chopped green onions, divided
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1 1/2 tsp white wine distilled white vinegar (preferably tarragon-flavored)
3/4 tsp seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
3/4 c panko or unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
1 (6-oz.) canned crabmeat, drained
2 tbsp vegetable oil

In small bowl, stir together 1/8 cup of the mayonnaise, 1 1/2 tsp of the red bell pepper, 1 1/2 tsp of the green onions, and vinegar. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.

I really should've used red bell pepper as this doesn't look nearly as pretty and appetizing as last time!

In large bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons bell pepper, 6 tablespoons green onions, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and half of the bread crumbs. Gently stir in crabmeat.


Spread remaining bread crumbs on plate. Divide crab mixture into 4 parts; form each into 1/2-inch-thick patty. (Crab cakes will be loosely packed.)


Carefully dredge crab cakes in bread crumbs to coat completely; place in single layer on another plate. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes to help cakes keep their shape.

These crab cakes were extremely loose! Much looser than the first time I made them.  Actually, if they were this loose the first time around, I might have hesitated to make them again. I think, but am not completely certain, that crab lump meat is key for handling.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add crab cakes; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until rich golden brown on both sides. Allow crab cakes to rest on paper towel to drain grease.


Serve with not-so-herbed tartar sauce.


While these crab cakes tasted very good, they were not as beautiful as the first ones I made (particularly those that had turned out perfectly golden).  Red bell pepper really plays a visual role in these little cakes. The tartar sauce really needs some tarragon to jazz it up.  Otherwise, it's, well, tartar sauce. I skipped it to save a couple of dollars and prevent from wasting the majority. 

Lesson learned: buy the tarragon and plan to use the remaining tarragon in another dish.

Still, I'd certainly do this again, though I'll spring for the more expensive crab lump meat and the tarragon.

Cost:
Usually I'm pretty anal about the prices of items, but I cannot find where or when I'd purchased this crab meat!  I'm going to guess though, that it was about the same as last time, $2.85 for each of two servings.


0 comments: