Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Cost of Take-Out Lunch, Week Ending 091010

Earlier this year, I started counting how much money I spend on lunch, by including this "cost of take-out lunch" label.  About two months ago, I added up the cost of my take-out lunches for the year.  It came to $501.33, which is pure insanity. 

I buy (or used to buy) groceries weekly and had food plans.  Really, there's no reason that I should spend ANY money at lunch, even now, though I'm living alone.  When I make food it's in mass quantity (especially for a person living alone) and there is typically enough for me to take to work. Consider the lasagnas wrapped in individual portions in my freezer.  I simply suck. To illustrate that point, I'm going to tabulate the cost of take-out lunch so far, including this week's cost.

  • Monday: Labor Day!
  • Wednesday: Subway, 6" Spicy Italian on wheat with everything, pepper and splash of vinegar and oil: $4.25
  • Thursday: Jack in the Box, Southwest Chicken Salad with grilled chicken: $6
  • Friday: Islands, Big Wave burger and Coke: $14.75 (including tip)
Total: $25.  Which brings the year total, so far(!), to an astounding $614.33

The things I could've done with that money if I just sucked it up and ate leftovers instead of going out with the crew for fun, or grabbed an individually frozen lasagna wedge from the freezer instead of hurrying off to work because taking the time to grab lunch from my freezer would be "too much" time. 

From now on, to bring the point home to myself on a regular basis, I'm going to tally the annual accumulated cost of take-out lunch each week.  Maybe THAT will help.  Because so far, I'm still on my way to having spent the equivalent of a decent set of irons on LUNCH ALONE.  Puke!!

0 comments: