Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Guacamole


Looks a little crazy under my unnatural late evening light, but it's some damn good guacamole!

Rodney and I have had guacamole regularly over the past couple years. Each time, we've made it fresh, but I don't think I've mentioned it other than instances when I say things like, "have your tacos with some tomatoes, guacamole..." I'm not a huge guacamole fan, but I do like a little bit in a burrito, on the side of some nachos or on a taco.

This is how I made it tonight, pretty much how we've made it in the past.

Guacamole
adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison, copyright 1995
1 perfectly ripe Hass avocado
1 tbsp minced onion
1/4 tsp salt
juice of 1/4 lime
and if I had it, I'd have added half a mined serano or jalepeno pepper

This is what a Hass avocado looks like. When they are bright green, they are most certainly not ripe. When slightly blackened and pressure from a thumb yields a small amount of give indicates a ripe fruit.

This is all you need to make a decent guacamole. Oh, you'll need salt. That's not shown. And if you want some heat, pick up a serrano or jalapeno pepper. I didn't have either, but went ahead anyway.


Cut the avocado in half and

  1. scoop the pit out of the flesh with a spoon or,
  2. with the sharp edge of a knife, strike the pit squarely and twist to remove the pit from the flesh.


Using a spoon, scoop the flesh from the skin and mash it coursely with a fork, assuming you don't have a molcajete.


Add lime juice, salt, and minced onion, combining with a fork. Taste, adjusting lime, salt and onion as necessary.


Taste the final product on a serving vessel, such as a chip, for final salt and/or lime content. Fine-tune as necessary.


While my guac turned out well, though lacking in the spicy category, the chip was probably the most stale chip I'd ever had in life. Now that I think about it, the bag was open before Rodney left for MI. Looking through the archives, it is possible the chips were purchased in...May?! UGH!

Cost:

  • avocado: $0.99
  • onion: $0.03 (smidgeon of an onion, really)
  • lime: $0.17
Total: $1.19, enough to serve two, or one lover of good guacamole.

0 comments: