Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Botan Brand Calrose Rice



I usually buy this rice in a 20-lb bag. Since my last bag, the one I bought when Rodney was here, became bug-ridden, I opted for the lone-person quantity. One single 5-lb bag of white rice. Should last until bugs take over.

Which makes me wonder: would the bugs take over if I stored the rice in a Rubbermaid container?  Or are the little black bugs inherent in the rice, like fruit flies on fresh fruit?

Anyway, time to finish making that ga kho that's been marinating in the fridge.


Botan brand Calrose Rice, available at Stater Bros. for $4.99/5 lb bag.   


2 comments:

Laura said...

What the exterminator told me was that a LOT of rice/grain/oat products have microscopic bug eggs in them, but usually you use them up before they hatch. The problem is that I live near a grocery store that apparently keeps their grains on the shelf long past the sell-by date (well, because there ISN'T a sell-by date for these things), so the bugs hatch soon after you buy them. It could be that you're having the same issue since you're keeping it so long.

The Cook said...

Laura, thanks for confirming a suspicion, that the bugs came in the rice. This should serve as a reminder to all who cook rice that rinsing is a good idea. Hopefully the bug eggs float out!