Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Medallions of Pork with Balsamic Butter Sauce



Balsamic reductions are fantastic. When I saw this recipe when browsing for the best way to use a pork tenderloin in the freezer, it was clear I had to try this one.

Medallions of Pork with Balsamic Butter Sauce
click to print

1 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin, cut crosswise into 12 slices
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter, chilled, divided
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp packed brown sugar


The little quantity of fat was trimmed before I managed to slice the tenderloin into the most non-uniform thicknesses possible.

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.


Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.

Add 1 tablespoon of the butter; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until beginning to brown.
 

Add pork; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and pale pink in center, turning once.
 
 
Into the skillet, ready to flip, skinny ones flipped first, thick ones flipped last.

Remove pork; cover loosely with foil.
 

Add vinegar to skillet; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
  

Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved.
 

Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted; immediately pour over pork.
  
You don't have to tell me, I know my food styling needs serious work.


I really liked how the pork turned out. The thicker medallions were very tender and juicy; the balsamic butter sauce rich and velvety. The thinner medallions were tougher in comparison with the thick medallions reminding me of overcooked pork chops. That was my fault: I didn't remove the skinny cuts from heat soon enough. Next time, I'll aim for 6 medallions rather than 12 which will allow for more wiggle room on timing. The thicker ones also achieved better browning than the thin ones, which I prefer.

Overall, a dinner done with pantry ingredients and a single dirty pan in about half an hour. You can't beat that.

Cost:
  • pork tenderloin: $3
  • butter: $0.09
  • balsamic vinegar: $0.67
Total: $3.76, but I'll make it $4 to include brown sugar, salt and pepper. That makes each of three servings about $1.33.


0 comments: