Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Stater Bros. Flaked Coconut



Standing in the baking aisle Saturday, I was perplexed. I hadn't written down whether I needed sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes for my next chicken recipe. Making sure to cover my bases, I bought both.

I've never used unsweetened coconut flakes. I don't think I've ever seen them before. Squishing the contents of the bag, it felt sort of like sawdust -- very dry.


The sweetened coconut, the stuff I used in the most kick-ass carrot cake ever known to man, feels dense and almost sticky even through the bag. That makes sense once you look at the ingredients -- it's coconut once drenched in sugar water.


Pretty decent when it comes to fiber, coconut has lots of saturated fat. No wonder it's delicious.

Coconut flakes are available in the baking aisle at Staters near the chocolate chips. Unsweetened costs $1.89/5 oz while the sweetened is $2.99/14 oz.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gracias! estaba buscando esta informaciĆ³n! (thanks i was checking for these information!)

The Cook said...

You're very welcome!