Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Couscous with Roasted Pistachios



A container of couscous has been lounging in the pantry for a long time. I'm almost embarrassed to say how long. The couscous probably has parties celebrating their longevity. I haven't made anything with the couscous since Couscous with Pine Nuts.

Seeing this recipe, I thought to myself, "OK! Fine! I'll do the damn couscous." It goes like that sometimes.

Couscous with Roasted Pistachios
adapted from Cooking Club of America, April/May 2010 issue
click to print

2 1/4 c chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 c couscous
1/2 c dried cherries
1 c coarsely chopped roasted salted pistachios
1 tsp grated lemon peel

Bring stock, oil and salt to a boil in medium saucepan.


Stir in couscous and cherries; cover and remove from heat.
  

Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork; stir in pistachios and lemon peel.
 
 


The crunchy nut and tender cherry textures were nice contrasts with the granular couscous. The tartness of the cherries were a lot more mellow than cherries straight from the bag, which is good. Too tart and they'd be over the top. I enjoyed those aspects of this side.

Unfortunately, I am still not over my fear of inhaling couscous granules directly into my lungs, which means I feel as though I must eat them one at a time so I know I'm swallowing each of them. Have you seen how tiny these things are? It is a similar reason why I cannot tolerate eating angel hair pasta.

Cost:
  • chicken stock: $0.36
  • couscous: $2, SWAG
  • dried cherries: $1.85
  • roasted pistachios: $2.50
TOTAL: $6.71 or $0.84 for each of eight 3/4-cup servings.


0 comments: