Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Saucy Pineapple-Strawberry-Raspberry Cake



Following the recipe for Saucy Strawberry-Raspberry Cake, I made a cake with a really ripe pineapple and what remained of the strawberries and raspberries.

It went like this:

I creamed sugar and butter. I added an egg, extracts, flour, soda, salt, and milk to achieve a batter.


I cut my aging pineapple into chunks -- the whole thing came out to 4 cups.


And trimmed the few remaining berries of grody bits, yielding about one cup of good parts.


Using a wad of paper towel as a brush*, I swiped it into softened butter and smeared it all over a 7x11" baking dish before dumping in the fruit.

*I've since realized how silly this is and now use clean fingers, wiping them after on a towel.

The batter was spread over the fruit and the dish popped into the 375°F oven for 45 minutes.


After cooling overnight, I dug into the cake making what I consider a novel discovery: the interior of this cake looked a little uncooked like the last one. And this one baked the entire 45 minutes.


Thus, there's no way the batter in the last cake was a little raw like I thought -- the sauciness makes the interior of the cake so moist it becomes creamy.

Another revelation: it's homemade dump cake! You know what I'm talking about regarding the dump cake, right? A box of vanilla cake mix over a can of pie filling? It's good.

Anyway, this cake was good, but not quite a good as the original. Turns out, there can be too much pineapple. I'd have never guessed.


0 comments: