Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Stater Bros. Frozen Ready to Cook Jumbo Shrimp



This bag of frozen shrimp has been in the freezer since July 24th last year. It's about time I do something with it.

Looking at the ingredients, I see it has shrimp, salt, and sodium tripolyphosphate. What in the heck is sodium tripolyphosphate? It's a slightly basic salt used for preservation. It's the stuff that gives frozen shrimp that weird slick feeling on your skin when you thaw and handle them.


Looks like it's true that shrimp has quite a bit of cholesterol.


Because I didn't plan ahead, I have to do the quick thaw option of thawing out my shrimps.


From the bag into a colander.
 

And rinsed. Instead of maintaining a steady stream of water for 6-8 minutes, I rinse them well, let them stand a couple minutes, toss them around, rinse etc. It might take a few minutes longer than 8 minutes, but I probably save a few gallons of water.


The most convenient thing about these is that they've already been deveined. Now it's just a matter of peeling them.

Stater Bros. Jumbo Shrimp, 16-20 of them in a one-pound bag, available in the frozen seafood section of Stater's for $14.99. Catch them on sale for Buy One Get One Free once in a while.


0 comments: