Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Berry Buttermilk Cake



Itching to use the new buttermilk I made as well as whatever berries I could salvage from the packages I didn't use for the ham, I googled "raspberry buttermilk", finding this recipe, which looks extremely simple and tasty. The blurb mentioned a crusty sugary top reminding me of the Plum Kuchen, answering whether or not I'd do this right now.

Berry Buttermilk Cake
adapted from Epicurious
click to print

1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c plus 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 c well-shaken buttermilk
1 c fresh raspberries and blackberries (about 5 ounces)

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.

Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.


Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.


Beat in vanilla.


Add egg and beat well.


At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.




Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top.


Scatter berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.


Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more.


Invert onto a plate.



I love this cake! It is so light and fluffy and buttery and fruity! I'm not sure what it is about the sugar-crisped-flaky crusty top I like so much, but it completely fascinates and delights me. It's just the slightest crust and yet it offers a "ooh!" in texture.

So thrilled was I with the smell and appearance of the buttermilk as well as the buttermilk-in-batter curdling effect that I am convinced this is the only way to go regarding buttermilk. I shall have buttermilk perpetually going forward.

Cost:
  • all-purpose flour: $0.08
  • unsalted butter: $0.27
  • sugar: $0.14
  • vanilla extract: $0.04
  • egg: $0.31
  • buttermilk: $0.18
  • raspberries and blackberries: $2.94
TOTAL: $3.96 or $0.66 for each of six servings.

0 comments: