Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits



Spying this recipe in the magazine I was planning to execute a main course from, I thought it'd be a nice addition to my meal. The original recipe included whole wheat and self-rising flours, of which I had none. Fortunately, the recipe included a tip for preparing self-rising flour. The recipe below substitutes regular flour for whole wheat and includes the ingredients for self-rising flour.

Buttermilk Biscuits
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

2/3 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, chilled, cut up

Heat oven to 450°F.

Combine buttermilk and baking soda in small bowl.


Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.


With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


Stir in buttermilk mixture just until soft dough forms.


On lightly floured surface, knead dough 3 to 4 times to combine.


Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch round cutter, cut into 12 biscuits, gently pressing together dough scraps as necessary.

A regular drinking glass worked marvelously to cut the biscuits!

Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown.


Cool on wire rack 5 minutes; serve warm.



The biscuits didn't really rise too much, which was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if I handled the dough too much or if I goofed up the recipe somehow. And I'm guessing by the color variations of the finished product that it wasn't mixed well. Either way, the biscuits tasted pretty good when hot, particularly when smeared with butter. I ate three before I got on with making the actual meal! I'll take a stab at this again sometime.

Cost:
  • buttermilk: $0.24
  • flour: $0.16
  • butter: $0.54
Total: $0.94 or about $0.08 for each of 12 biscuits

0 comments: