Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Kellogg's Corn Flakes



Did you know that breakfast cereals as we know them were born in Michigan and it started with Corn Flakes? Knowing this, it makes sense why this box was a regular on my grandparents' breakfast table, along with a sugar bowl and a glass bottle of milk. And that milk? Delivered by a milkman. When I was a kid I was completely dumbfounded that someone would drive around and leave milk on doorsteps.

Anyway...

If you're a health nut like the Kellogg brothers, you'll be interested in the ingredients and nutrition facts.


Me, I'm not a big breakfast cereal fan. I'm going to use these flakes to coat some chicken.


Not that long ago, I'd put a bunch of flakes in a bag and crush them with running them over with a rolling pin.


Now I can throw the flakes in the food chopper and with the push of a button, yield crumbs.


As it turns out, one cup of flakes yields just under 1/4 of a cup of crumbs.


Kellogg's Corn Flakes, available in the cereal aisle at Target for $2.99 an 18-oz box. That makes each of 18 1-cup servings about  $0.17.

0 comments: