Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Mini Pumpkin Pineapple Spice Muffins, Gluten Free



Normally I try a recipe as written, a control, before making a gluten-free batch. And normally I stick to the recipe exactly. In this case, I cut straight to substituting Pamela's flour for regular flour and instead of doing 12 regular-sized muffins, I thought it made sense to make mini-muffins even though I don't have a mini-muffin pan.

Mini Pumpkin Pineapple Spice Muffins, Gluten-Free
adapted from Foodess

2 c Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
2 c pumpkin puree
2/3 c vegetable oil
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 c pineapple, 1/4" chunks

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, vegetable oil, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs.


Fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture just until combined.


Fold in the pineapples.


Spoon batter evenly among mini-muffin cups and place them on a baking sheet.


Bake for 17-19 minutes, until tops look dry and spring back a bit when lightly pressed in the center.



Since I didn't scoop a consistent amount among the liners some required a longer baking time than others. I baked them an average of 18 minutes. The hot muffins tasted okay, but didn't cause me to lose my mind. When I tasted one cool, I was not disappointed. Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend continues to impress as these don't taste odd in that gluten-free sort of way.

The unfortunate thing about this is that I didn't do a control recipe. I don't know if I am disliking the recipe itself or if it's because I did it gluten-free. That sucks.

And I'm gonna guess it's because I didn't have a mini-muffin pan that the muffins were oddly shaped.

Cost:

  • Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend: $2
  • pumpkin puree: free
  • vegetable oil: $0.66
  • brown sugar: $0.23
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • eggs: $0.61
  • pineapple: $4.91

Total: $8.49 or about $0.11 for each of 80 too-small, disfigured, "mini" muffins.

0 comments: