Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sprouts Domestic Artisan Parmesan



Streamlining my grocery shopping last week meant that instead of getting the Parmesan wedge I normally get, I picked up this cheese.


I don't think I've ever had an artisan cheese. And because of that, I paid attention to the ingredients list on the front label. So it's got "pasteurized part skimmed cow's milk, cheese cultures, sea salt, enzymes, and natamycin (to protect flavor)".


What the heck is natamycin? It's a fungicide that is used to treat the surface of semi- and hard-cheeses. And it can be used medicinally to treat infections. Looking at previous parmesan purchases, I see that it is used in non-artisinal cheeses too.

Look at how fine my new grater shreds this cheese. It's so incredibly fine that it not handled with a delicate touch the Parmesan will clump.


Domestic Artisan Parmesan available in the cheese section near the deli at Sprouts for $6.99/lb.

0 comments: