Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cast Iron Grill Pan, A Cleaning and Reseasoning


This dirty-ass cast iron grill pan has been in this state since I grilled chicken on it for Honey-Mustard Chicken Salad last week. Tomorrow we're having Tandoori Chicken and it's going to be grilled on this same grill pan. Something's gotta give. We're definitely having Tandoori Chicken, so that means this sucker needs to get cleaned up.

First I placed it over a burner. The burner was fired up to medium heat and water from my Brita pitcher was immediately poured in until it was near the brim. The water was allowed to get hot so it was boiling.


And it continued boiling until all the nasty chicken-jerky bits were loosened and grease was swirling around at the top the water. At that point, I took my cast-iron specific steel-wired brush and carefully scrubbed, loosening the stuck-on bits of chicken.


The burner was shut off and the water allowed to cool a short while. CAREFULLY, I carried the still-hot pan to the sink and dumped the chunky, greasy water out. I returned the pan back to the burner, cranked the stove-top back up and added more water, doing a second cleaning to rid the pan of the really stuck-on chunkies. Again, I carefully dumped the water. This time, the grill pan looked pretty clean.

I put the grill pan back on the burner over medium heat and let it dry completely before I turned off the stove-top and smeared a teaspoon of oil all over the pan. The pan was then heated over open flame until the oil no longer looked slick.


1 comments:

Marlin said...

I just added your website on my blogroll. Really enjoyed reading through. Excellent information!
Marlin recently posted... best grills under $200