Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

L&W Bean Threads, aka Vermicelli



The egg roll recipe I had in the queue for the food plan required mung bean threads also known as vermicelli. I thought I knew what I was looking for until I started taking really good looks at what Asian vermicelli can consist of when I shopped HMart. Usually, when I buy vermicelli, I buy the type with Korean characters to send home to Mom in MI.

There are rice, sweet potato and various bean threads. Would I be able to tell a difference between any of them by appearance or flavor? Uh, no. It turns out that the types I send home to Mom are rice or potato vermicelli. I hunted for mung bean threads and since this Chinese brand of bean thread was on sale, I rolled with it.

A package of Chinese L&W Vermicelli (bean threads) can be purchased, on sale, at HMart for $1.99.

I'd give you a run-down of ingredients, but if there is anything other than some kind of beans, hopefully mung beans whatever those are, there wasn't an ingredient statement to be found. Ultimately, it doesn't matter since I probably wouldn't be able to read it.

0 comments: