Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cilantro-Lime Rice

Cilantro-Lime Rice served with pinto beans and Across the Border Tequila Shrimp

So I bought the tequila for the shrimp, found a shrimp recipe and then was stuck on what to serve with said shrimp. Finally, I came across this rice recipe, which is supposed to be similar to Chipotle's rice.  I can handle that.

Cilantro-Lime Rice
adapted from Chef In You

1 c Basmati or any other long grained rice, rinsed lightly in cold water
1 tsp oil
1 tsp butter
1-2 small limes
3 tbsp cilantro
salt

Soak the rice in some water for 10 minutes.

In a skillet, in low heat, add the butter/oil along with rice.

Let the rice get coated with the oil. Once the rice gets aromatic add juice of 1 lime. Stir for a minute.


Add 2 cups of water and salt – cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.

Check to see if the rice has absorbed all the water. My rice after 11 minutes was still quite wet.  The rice was allowed to cook an additional 3 minutes with the lid off.


Gently stir rice and add chopped cilantro.


Taste and add more lime juice if required. Remove from flame, fluff the rice lightly and let it sit for 1-2 minutes with the lid on.


One lime was plenty for my tastes. As for sugar, I'm glad I omitted that option.  The cilantro wasn't very cilantro-y.  Overall, the rice was decent, but not quite a flavor explosion.  I'll do it again if I decide to make burritos in hopes they come out like the ones at Chipotle's. You never know.

Cost:
  • basmati rice: $0.80
  • lime: $0.36
  • cilantro: $0.30 -- hold the phone -- did I actually use Italian parsley?!
    • NOW I HAVE TO TRY THIS AGAIN
Total: $1.46 and there was plenty enough for four, maybe even six, servings. That makes each serving between $0.24-0.37.

0 comments: