Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce


Anticipating a night of egg rolls galore, I went on the hunt for some oyster sauce. And I wanted this Lee Kum Kee brand in particular simply due to the fact that's what the recipe author suggested.

I browsed. And hunted. And browsed and hunted some more. For those of you who don't frequent HMart often, there is no method to the madness. You'll find a cluster of oyster sauces of various brands. Then you'll find there are sections specific to brands where many sauces and oils can be found. Frustrated, I grabbed the cheapest oyster sauce and headed out of the aisle.

Then I saw it, right there in the Lee Kim Kee section of the sauces and oils aisle. The Lee Kum Kee brand of oyster sauce. Comparing the two bottles (the one I had originally selected and this Kee brand), I couldn't help but be astounded by how few ingredients* were in the Kee brand. I tossed that other HFCS and MSG brand out of the cart to make way for the Kee brand.

Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce, available at your HMart, for $3.49/18 oz.

*Those of you dying to know, the English** ingredient statement lists:
water, sugar, salt, oyster extractives (oyster, water, salt), modified corn starch, caramel color
**I can't read any Asian,  so I can only assume this is true

0 comments: