Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Beef Brisket



For the chili recipe I needed a "5-lb flat-cut (also called first-cut) beef brisket, cut into 2 1/2- to 3-inch cubes". Uh, ok.


Checking Ralph's first and finding their brisket selection was non-existent, taken over by standing rib roasts for the holiday, I went to Costco fully expecting they'd have one and it'd cost 5 million dollars because it was in a bundled package of two.


Turns out you can get a brisket at Costco for about $20 and you only get one 5 pound hunk per pack. Guessing by how all of the briskets were about the same mass, I took that to mean this was exactly what I needed, a flat-cut brisket.


I wasn't sure what to do with all this fat. The recipe didn't say to trim it.


After cutting it into strips about 1.5 inches wide (and yes, too narrow for the recipe specification - oops), I saw how the fat was soft, the easily melted kind.


It sort of grossed me out a little bit so I trimmed it from every other strip, fingers crossed that it wasn't a mistake. The beef was cubed into pieces a little smaller than called for.


Are you a brisket afficionado? Was this what I needed?

Kirkland USDA Choice Beef Brisket available in Cryovac packages for $3.99 a pound, or $20.59/5.16 lbs.

0 comments: