Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Onion Soup Les Halles, Frozen 11 Months



The Onion Soup I made almost a year ago was divided into glass bowls and stowed away in the freezer. It's super convenient to have food ready to eat.

This bowl was allowed to thaw for a few days in the fridge. It didn't look a whole lot of appetizing when the lid was removed. Giving it a stir and remembering the bacon hunks gave me some incentive to go forward.


Some of soup was transferred from the bigger 4-cup bowl to a more eating-friendly 2-cup bowl which was placed in a 350°F oven.


Honey-Butter French Bread slices were spritzed with olive oil and placed on a lightly oiled baking sheet.


The slices were toasted just a few minutes, enough to get toasted without browning.


The hot bubbly soup was removed from the oven.


And piles of shredded gruyere cheese were heaped onto the toasted bread before going back into the oven.


The bread was removed from the oven once the cheese was gooey.


Excitement caused me to slosh some of the soup out of the bowl as a jammed a couple of trimmed-to-fit hunks of cheesy bread into it.



I'm not sure if it was the honey in the bread or if the freezer shelf-life of the soup is not 11 months or if I was just being paranoid about the shelf-life but something didn't seem quite right to me. I don't even know if Onion Soup should be frozen...I don't see why not since it's just onions, butter and stock. Regardless, I only ate about half the bowl (and all of the cheesy bread) before I decided I'd had enough which is unusual. The rest of the soup is going to be exiting the freezer.

0 comments: