Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes with Ginger Syrup



This is something I'd not normally try, but with so much pumpkin I have no reason not to do it. The ginger syrup sounded really good! Sour cream and toasted pecans are supposed to garnish the pancakes but that just seems much too busy for my tastes so I skipped them. And I'm not really keen on toasting any pecans after goofing around with those cheesecakes recently.

I moved the order of operations around. It'd be easier to keep the syrup warm while making the pancakes than the other way around; doing this at midnight, streamlining was essential. Without an electric skillet or griddle, I couldn't control the temperature to a precise 350°F so I just aimed for a medium to medium-low flame. And finally, the only other change I made was to grease the skillet with butter instead of oil. I just like butter better.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Ginger Syrup
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

SYRUP
1 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 c water
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger

PANCAKES
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
3 tbsp packed light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs
2 c milk
3/4 c pumpkin puree
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, cooled

In medium saucepan, combine all syrup ingredients.


Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.

After a minute the butter started melting; two more minutes later the mixture roared to a screaming boil.

Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool.

Mine simmered 13 minutes but it was hard to tell if it thickened at all.

In large bowl, combine flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; mix well.


In separate large bowl, whisk eggs to blend; whisk in milk, pumpkin and melted butter.


Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until large flour lumps disappear.


Heat oven to 250°F.

Heat large skillet over medium-low heat until hot. Add a small amount of butter, maybe a tsp or two and let it melt.


For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet.


Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until bubbles start to form on tops of pancakes and edges begin to look dry. Turn pancakes; cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until done, metering the heat as necessary.

The first pancake, no matter the recipe, never looks as good as the subsequent cakes.

Place pancakes on baking sheet; keep warm in oven.

Repeat as necessary.

This is pancake #2. I made four, the latter of which looked like #2, and put the rest of the batter in the fridge.

To serve, drizzle pancakes with syrup.



The pancakes tasted good, nicely spiced with a mild pumpkin flavor. The syrup was okay, I enjoyed the ginger taste and how it complimented the pumpkin, but the, uh, scum that turned up on the syrup is certainly unattractive. Would I roast a pumpkin and puree it specifically to make these? No. But if I had some extra puree laying around I'd definitely do this recipe again. I wouldn't make so much syrup, probably cutting the quantity down by a third. There was a lot.

Cost:
  • light brown sugar: $0.37
  • unsalted butter: $0.30
  • fresh ginger: $0.40
  • all-purpose flour: $0.24
  • eggs: $0.61
  • milk: $1.19
  • pumpkin puree: free
Total: $3.11 but I'll round up to $3.50 considering the spices, making each of 16 pancakes about $0.22.

I refrigerated the leftover batter and syrup, using them to make a new hot stack in the morning.
    

And I saved the leftover batter and syrup, making pancakes whenever I felt like it over the following days until the batter was gone. Pancakes are cool that way. And the more of these I ate, the more I liked them.

0 comments: